Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Casual selling through sensitive networking

Hi There!

Still looking for that cat? Forget about it. Here's another of my observations. This one is about networking.

I'm a member of 3 networking communities. The rules of engagement are pretty much the same for all 3 of them. No spamming etc. Still each community managed to develop distinct behavioural patterns that influence the rate of success of it's members. Let me try to explain:

Community 1
consists , as one member put it, mostly out of sellers shouting in the market place.
They seem to have no genuine interest for meaningful discussions. Forums are used as plain sales outlets for products and services. The result is that nobody hardly sells anything.

- forum owner post: Hi friends, Look what I found. It's great! I had to tell you about it.

- friend post: Sorry Fred, too much on my sleeve right now. But try this. It's even better (copied sales letter, a mile long).

Community 2
has very strict rules. Offers can either be made through the classifieds section or in 1 on 1 contacts between confirmed "friends". Member networks allow only 1 day per week for commercial activities. Messages are system checked for spamming. Big Brother is watching!

System warning: You are sending the same message to different members. It looks like you are spamming! A copy of this warning has been send to the network moderater. (Honest to God, I was only sending a confirmation note to people who requested to network with me).

Community 3
I recently joined after I was invited by a good friend. It was like walking into a room full of successful business people. No MLM allowed! All eyes were on me. Was this the right place to be? Hello, Come in! How are you? Leaders rushed in to greet me. They immediately offered help and guidence to find my way through the system with it's differend international business clubs.

Leader: Remember, here we don't sell. We network. Give to get! Get to know people first and they will show an interest in your business. Get it? Bytheway, how will you contribute to the network and what do you expect to get from it? (that was 2 weeks ago. I haven't deared to put up even 1 ad yet!).

Conclusion
Networking communities differ distinctly from each other in their behavioural patterns. In some communities members literally throw banana's at each other trying to make a sale. Others conduct a more civilized and sensitive approach to business. Get to know people better. Show a genuine interest in who they are and what they do and you will be treated in the same way. Success (sales orders) will come naturally; Casual selling through sensitive networking.

Bflash
Over and out.